Challenge coins
Create Post

Thread: Challenge coins

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Challenge coins

Question for the forum.

I hear and read about "Challenge coins".

I know what they are, but where did this start?
    What is the history of them, and how are they used?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, and Semper Fi to all.

You're ahead of me-I don't have a clue what they are

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ?? must be something just for some one to make money on

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I could be wrong but I believe the challenge coins originated right around the time of the World War II Pacific Island conflicts. I believe that I read about "Challenge Coins" in an issue of Leatherneck Magazine awhile back.
    Gary

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    are'nt they coins carried by

special Force outfits, with the name of the group on them or something to that effect. And if you run into a person from that outfit or orginization and you were also part of that orginization; Rangers, Green Beenies, etc., if you were to ask that person for his "coin" and he did'nt have it, he owed you and anyone with him and you a drink. They could also challenge you to see your coin. Thats basically how it was explained to me by a Green Beenie. I guess if you were part of these orginizations, you better carry that coin with you, in case you run into someone who could challenge you.

yep,, my Sergeant Major gave me one when I was stationed in Europe,, still have it ,,,, somewhere

Samples of Challenge Coins

http://www.geocities.com/rickmso/challenge.html
    A Brief History of Challenge Coins

Challenge coins were originally used by Special Forces to recognize soldiers for outstanding acts, to boost morale, and to build camaraderie. Today, challenge coins are in use by several hundred military and law enforcement units.

Traditionally, "coining" was executed to see if fellow soldiers were carrying thier unit's coin. In the Viet Nam era this tradition was modified slightly so that the loser of the challenge was obligated to buy a round of drinks.

Here's an example of how it might work.
    1. A coin challenge is initiated by either drawing your coin and holding it in the air, or slamming it on a table and yelling "Coin ****Check!"
    2. The individual or individuals who are challenged must respond by drawing their own coin and showing it to the challenger.
    3. If any member is challenged and is unable to brandish a coin, that person must buy a round of drinks for everyone being ****challenged, including the challenger.
    4. According to several sources, coin checks are permitted anywhere and anytime.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...F?opendocument

Another version of Challenge Coin History;
    Some say the U.S. Army first introduced unit coins. But these coins came in the form of live ordnance. The Soldiers were comprised of small, elite, front-line fighters who carried a personalized bullet from the weapons they carried in combat.
    Fellow team members would challenge each other to produce his "round", if the unsuspecting soldier could not produce results he was given a small chore; usually in the form of buying a round of drinks.
    Over time the "bullet club's" popularity grew and it wasn't an uncommon site to see a full range of bullets, rockets, cannon and artillery shells strewn across bar room tables. In order to gain control of the exploding situation - and to avoid negligent discharges of the fully functional munitions - bullets were traded for coins.
    Regardless of the origins, coins heighten excitement and foster unit esprit de corps. They've found their way from tokens of appreciation onto tables at mess nights, Marine Corps Birthday Balls, retirement ceremonies, and many other occasions that share history and tradition.

Another History of the Challenge Coin
    During World War 1, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze and presented them to his unit. One young pilot placed the medallion in a small leather pouch that he wore about his neck.
    Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilots’ aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.
    He succeeded in avoiding German patrols by donning civilian attire and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, saboteurs had plagued the French in the sector. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. He had no identification to prove his allegiance, but he did have his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners and one of his French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion. They delayed his execution long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him they gave him a bottle of wine.
    Back at his squadron, it became tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through challenge in the following manner - a challenger would ask to see the medallion. If the challenged could not produce a medallion, they were required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged them. If the challenged member produced a medallion, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued on throughout the war and for many years after the war while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

PS This might be more than your seeking.

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    We never had a coin check or challenge coin. But then, I guess, in the airwing we just did it a bit different. We had PIN CHECKS. The use of a safety pin off of a rocket launcher - these were sought after very much and used much in the same way described above - but only Aviation Ordnance did it. I still carry mine with me. It's a good tradition and a great way to get free beer from juinor Ordies..

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Marines,

Appreciate the replies.

MillRat - never such a thing as "too much" info. You got my brain housing group back in gear and thinking. With the links you gave me, that got me going in the right direction. (Or as the Ol' Gunny (R. Lee Ermey) would say, "Now that motivates me!")

Again thanks to all.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. (What's left of it anyway.)

Again, Semper Fi.

Thread Information